Good oral health is something to smile about.
Caring for your teeth, gums and mouth is absolutely critical.
With regular dental exams, some of the most common dental conditions can be detected and treated. In addition, your dentist can detect the signs and symptoms of more than 120 diseases that affect the rest of your body during a regular dental checkup.
At VBA, we are just as committed to your and your family’s oral health as you are. We’ve provided links below to some helpful tips for overall oral wellness.
- Nearly 75% of American adults suffer from various forms of gum disease and don’t know it.1
- Gum disease has been linked to oral cancer, heart disease, diabetes, respiratory ailments, preterm birth, skin diseases, thyroid problems, and leukemia.1, 2
- The death rate for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, thyroid cancer and skin cancer.3
- Tooth decay is the #1 chronic childhood disease - 5 times more common than asthma and seven times more common than hay fever.4
- Over 20 million workdays are lost each year due to dental illness.5
1 According to the American Dental Hygienists’ Association (2008).
2 Gustin, K.M. (2006, Dec.). Discussing dental. National Provisioner. 220(12). 26-29.
3 Robbins, McLean (2008, April). Brushing up on oral cancer. Employee Benefit News.
4 Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General (September 2000).
5 Source: National Association of Dental Plans (NADP).
What does that mean?
We’ve taken the most common terms associated with oral care and provided definitions. Sort through our alphabetical Dental Dictionary now.
VBA dental plans are administered and underwritten by TruAssure Insurance Company. TruAssure dental plans are offered in association with DenteMax dental networks.